GOVERNMENT OF SIERRA LEONE
MINISTRY OF HEALTH AND SANITATION
INTEGRATED HEALTH PROJECTS ADMINISTRATION UNIT (IHPAU)
23 Cantonment Road, Off Kingharman Road
Freetown, Sierra Leone
TITLE: COMMUNICATION SPECIALIST
Name of Project: Strengthening system for health and scaling up of high impact interventions for HIV, Tuberculosis and Malaria to attain Universal Health Coverage
Location: MINISTRY OF HEALTH AND SANITATION
Reports To: THE MINISTER
Date of Issuance: 21st July 2022
The Ministry of Health and Sanitation is mandated to provide strategic direction for health service delivery in the country. This requires effective planning, implementation, monitoring and promoting of effective health service delivery in the country. The Ministry in 2021 developed and launched the national health policy and strategy together with the Universal Health Coverage roadmap. Successful implementation of the new health strategy and UHC roadmap will require multisectoral partnerships and regular communications with sector ministries, development partners, private sector, INGOs, national and community organizations for better health outcomes. It is for this reason that the Ministry of Health and Sanitation as part of the Delivery Team is recruiting a communication specialist to provide technical guidance for communicating the work of the Ministry to its partners and supporting the strategic public health communication to the general public.
The Communications Specialist, Ministry of Health and Sanitation (MoHS) Advisory Team will have overall responsibility for coordinating the Ministry’s communication to partners and the general public and promote the work of the Ministry and its key accomplishments.
The overall objective of the assignment is to strengthen MoHS relationships with its partners and the general public through the generation of communication products and effective management of the Ministry’s communication platforms.
Specific objectives to be achieved are:
- Increase awareness of the work and accomplishments of MoHS across the country and promote greater engagement of the MoHS with key stakeholders and the general public.
- To promote the Ministry’s mandate and areas of work under the strategic program of the Presidential taskforce communication policy and strategy
- To foster greater information and knowledge exchange with key stakeholders, development partners, NGOs, and Civil Society Organizations in the health sector.
The Communications Specialist will carry out the following activities with guidance from the Minister and other senior officials of the Ministry of Health and Sanitation.
1. Communication Projects:
- Develop and disseminate the MoHS external communication strategy and operational plan
- Develop and distribute quarterly newsletters on activities undertaken by the Ministry and its partners
- Produce video documentaries and disseminate on the implementing of critical health interventions including HIV, TB, Malaria and health emergencies
- Write/edit speeches, talking points and statements for the Minister, Deputy Minister, the Presidency and other important dignitaries
- Peruse and approve all MoHS official communications prior to publication.
2. Electronic/Digital platform Platforms
- Oversee the functionality, content and regular update of the MoHS internet webpage
- Manage the MoHS Official WhatsApp, facebook, twitter and other social media platforms
- In collaboration with the ICT unit of the Ministry, accelerate the use of internet-based communication among the Ministry’s staff as a cost control measure.
- Develop, maintain and update a digital photo record.
- Support preparation, production and dissemination of educational materials including print and electronic media.
- Keep up to date on the latest developments in the media landscape and digital marketing trends and provide analysis of best practices, opportunities and trends and innovation
3. Support to Other MoHS Directorates and Units
- Support preparation, production and dissemination of educational materials including print and electronic media
- Assist with the revision and editing of texts or documents developed by the MoHS directorates for publication
- Support the development of appropriate risk communication and IEC materials by directorates and units as required
- Provide technical support and the search of spaces or airtime in the journalistic media for the dissemination of health information.
- Write up human interest stories and arrange their filming, where required
- Document lessons learnt to inform future preparedness and response activities.
- Develop and manage public events calendar for the various directorates, departments and units
- Create an updated press contact, national and international organization interested in receiving information from MoHS.
- Organize press conference and press briefings as required by the Minister or other members of the SMT
- Manage international and national media relations
- Facilitate publication and monitoring of health-related stories in print and electronic media
- Identify published articles/stories for consideration by the annual media award committee
- Establish links with allies and entities in general with the health sector and promote the dissemination of health information.
- Collaborate with other communication officers in other sector ministries to harmonize government communication priorities and messages
5. Key Partners
- Provide project summary and regular update to health development partners and HSSC on key interventions implemented by the MoHS
- Ensure time communication of events and ensure invitations are timely sent to relevant stakeholders
- Liaise with Donor Partner unit to regularly update the directory of HDP and HSSC members and ensure key stakeholders gets MoHS regular updates
- Communication products developed and used to facilitate MoHS engagement with partners and the general public.
- MoHS communication to the public and relevant partners using digital media and social media enhanced
- MoHS directorates and units strengthened to communicate results of programmes more effectively and timeously
- Improved engagement of Press and media coverage of health interventions
- HDP, HSSC and other key partners timely and adequately informed about MoHS projects and programmes
A Bachelor Degree in mass communication, public relations or journalism
Minimum 3 years of increasingly responsible professional experience in mass and institutional communication
- Excellent in verbal and written communication
- Familiarity with local media and established network with local journalist
- Ability to express clearly and concisely ideas and concepts with local journalists
- Competent in the use of computer and internet use of desktop publishing.
Only email applications sent to the above email address will be included in the pool of applicants to be assessed by MOHS. No hand deliveries will be accepted. Please also note that your CV should contain your full contact details such as residence address, working mobile telephone number, working email address, as well as those of your three referees.
Selected candidates will be required to sign a contractual agreement with the Government of Sierra Leone’s Ministry of Health and Sanitation.
The recruitment will initially be for a period of one year and thereafter an annual extension subject to performance and funds availability.
Closing date: Thursday 18th August 2022