Helen Keller International
Job Type: Full time
Location: Freetown, Sierra Leone
Start Date: 20th July, 2022
End Date: Annual contract (renewable)
Reports to: Administration & Operations Manager
Open to Expatriates: No
Helen Keller International is a global health organization dedicated to eliminating preventable vi-sion loss, malnutrition, and diseases of poverty. Helen Keller Intl partners with communities that are striving to overcome longstanding cycles of poverty and is devoted to scaling up evidence-based, cost-effective solutions to improve care practices and ensure that basic health interven-tions reach vulnerable people, with a focus on women, youth, and children.
Helen Keller Intl has been operating in Sierra Leone for nearly 20 years in support of the Nutrition and Neglected Tropical Disease (NTDs) components of the National Health Development Plan of the Ministry of Health and Sanitation, as well as food security component of the Ministry of Agriculture.
Scope of Work
The IT Officer will oversee all aspects of the country office’s information systems, working with Global IS staff to ensure network administration, hardware and application management, securi-ty, user support and administrative functions are all properly managed.
This position requires a broad set of technical, planning, problem-solving and hands-on support skills. Especially important is the ability to work effectively in our low-resource settings that pre-sent significant infrastructure challenges, and the ability to communicate and collaborate in our multicultural environment.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Perform installation, maintenance and updating of local area network components, in-cluding servers, routers, switches, firewalls, peripherals, printers, network nodes, termi-nals, and wiring, in accordance with HKI standards
• Manage the internet connectivity for the office in such a way to maximize the operation and efficiency of the office
• Maintain the supply of network and computer equipment in the country offices and plan for and implement the routine replacement of hardware components
• Perform routine server maintenance, event tracking and performance monitoring duties, configuration and security tasks.
• Maintain the stability and performance of the country office networks, performing quality control, troubleshooting steps and working with vendors and service providers to isolate, diagnose and resolve network problems.
PC and Application Management
• Perform PC configurations, per HKI IS Standards
• Perform application installation, configuration, testing and upgrade tasks, per HKI IS Standards.
• Ensure local defences against malware and intrusion are adequate and maintained, rec-ommending strategies, applications or services as necessary
• Manage the office’s firewall and VPN, and anti-malware programs.
• Ensure that data backup and recovery systems are in place and functioning, per HKI IS Standards
• Configure and maintain the use of One Drive for Business and SharePoint for staff file management, and train staff in the proper monitoring and use of these tools.
• Provide desktop support services to office staff, performing problem identification and resolution for user problems
• Perform an Information Systems orientation for new staff, and periodic refresher training for all staff.
• Actively participate in monthly calls with the Africa Regional Information Systems Man-ager and monthly calls with the Global IS Staff
• Participate in regional or global-level working groups when assigned.
Special IS Projects
• Respond to special requests and/or projects related to improving the functionality and se-curity of Helen Keller Intl’s information systems.
Qualification and Experience
• A bachelor’s degree in computer science, informational technology, or any other related field
• At least 5 years of proven experience as IT Officer/Manager
• Excellent knowledge of technical management, information analysis, computer hardware and software systems
• Experience in data centered management and governance
• Hands on experience with network installation and management
• Must be able to work in a dynamic and complex environment
• Ability to carry out responsibilities independently with minimal guidance
• Must be able and willing to work in a diverse office in terms of language, culture, etc. Proven experience in research, analysis and publication an added advantage
• Excellent written and verbal English language skills
Helen Keller International is an Equal Opportunity Employer, promoting gender, equity and diversity.
Fostering a diverse and open workplace is an important part of HKI’s vision, and we encourage people from all backgrounds, especially women, to apply.