Land owners of Zone C in Malen Chiefdom and stakeholders of Pujehun District and Malen have praised the Management of Socfin Agricultural Company Sierra Leone for the timely payments of land lease to land owning families of Zone C amounting to 351, 156,800 Leone's as per the lease agreement between the lessee and the Government of Sierra Leone for the period 5th September 2020 to 4th September 2021.
The area of Zone C is 13,907. 17 acres × 2.50 USD/acre =USD 34,768 amounting to 351,156,800 Leones at the Commercial bank exchange rate obtainable, paid in the presence of witnesses, journalists, CSOs and Government representatives in Sahn Malen on 4th September 2020. .Speaking at the special ceremony held and on behalf of Hon. PC BVS Kebbie, Chiefdom Speaker SR Moiguah catalogued the good work of Socfin:
- Construction of roads within the Chiefdom and repair of highways to and from the Chiefdom
- Cultivation of boli-lands and IVS for Upper and Lower Malen for five years ongoing
- Provisions of water wells and toilets facilities for various communities
- Construction of Primary schools in Mallay, Bendu Sijo, Kotumahun communities and now at Kpangba Malen
- Payment of Malen Junior Secondary School teachers not on payroll
- Ongoing construction of Senior Secondary School in Sahn town about to be completed
- Provision of scholarship for successful BECE candidates for four years going
- Providing books and other school materials
- Assistance to health facilities including providing of water and light facilities
- Construction of additional building for Sahn health center
- Employment for thousands, mostly youths drawn from nationwide
- Provision of CSR
- Payment of local taxes for unable taxpayers, amongst many others
Speaking further, the Chiefdom Speaker encouraged the government of HE President Bio to continue to provide the enabling environment to the Management of Socfin which the Chief stated has changed the development narrative of Pujehun District as a whole.
Delivering their respective statements, the District Officer Charles M Kailie, the CA Pujehun District Council Sahr E Yambasu, the District Agricultural Officer Eddie L Bawoh all commended Socfin for living up to its CSR.
They encouraged the land owning families to continue to work with Socfin which they stated is poised to deliver nationwide. They also encouraged the people of Malen to judiciously make use of the land lease which is paid annually.
The CO 14 Infantry Battalion, Pujehun, Lt Col . Julius U Sankoh, ONS boss and the Police boss warned the people of Malen against been incited which they stated can only deprive them of much needed development.
Particularly, the security sector warned all against the rampant fruit theft which they noted has the tendency to derail the ongoing development; as funds got from the oil plantation are used for development purposes.
It must be stated that Socfin has always promptly paid its annual land lease to the various Zones without any delay.